Harrison Community Basketball / CPYBL Coaches Code of Conduct :
The CPYBL Coach Code of Conduct serves as a guideline for the behavioral standards of the Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League. Every Coach is expected to adhere to the Code of Conduct. Ignorance of the Code of Conduct is not justification for noncompliance. The coordinator is responsible to ensure a complete understanding of the Coach Code of Conduct.
To maintain my status as a CPYBL Coach or otherwise risk forfeiture, I agree to the CPYBL Coach’s Code of Conduct, which states as follows.
I agree as a coach:
1. I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, and officials at every game, practice or other youth sports event.
2. I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all my players on and off the basketball court.
3. I will express humility as a winner and will be a gracious loser. I shall expect no less from my players and fans.
4. I understand that I am responsible for the conduct of my team’s fans and parents. I shall actively use my influence to promote sportsmanship among my teams’ fans and parents.
5. Fans or parents that become abusive or disorderly will be asked by the officials and coaches to leave the gym. I will fully support this decision by the referee(s) and will work closely with the officials and any gym and/or league personnel in quickly resolving problems that arise.
6. I will not engage in any outburst of anger or vulgarity directed at any official, player, coach, league or gym official, or spectator.
7. I will abstain from throwing any objects in disgust.
8. I shall respect and support the game officials. I shall not indulge in conduct that will incite the players or spectators against officials.
9. I will speak with the referees in a civil, calm manner. I will refrain from arguments in front of players and spectators and from excessive arguments. I will not enter the floor of play in order to confront a referee, and will not confront a referee about his calls after the game.
10. I will not approach the officials after the game for any reason.
11. If I am an assistant coach, I will remain seated for the entire time that the game is being played and will not speak to the referees other than a greeting at the beginning of the game.
12. I shall respect my opponents, display gracious behavior during the game, and require my players to conduct themselves in a similar fashion. Before and after the game, I shall meet and exchange friendly greetings to set the tone for the game.
13. I shall not openly criticize the officials or the opponent’s players or coaches. I shall not give instruction to or make demeaning comments to or about an opposing team’s coaches or players.
14. I will remember that I am a youth sports coach and that the game is for the children and not for the adults.
15. I will never discipline a player from an opposing team regardless of the reason.
16. I will never touch any player except to congratulate them.
17. I will place the emotional and physical well-being of each of my players above my personal desire to win.
18. I shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest desirable ideals of character.
19. I recognize the importance of the player’s academic development and will promote the proper balance between athletic and academic activities.
20. I will teach my players in a positive, nurturing environment. I will not berate, intimidate, or bully my players into learning.
21. I will treat each player as an individual and expect age appropriate skills from all of my players.
22. I will comply with the league playing time requirements for equal play All players in 2nd and 3rd grade divisions (8 ft and 10 ft rim) must play all players 2 quarters (or equivalent minutes) per game. All Rec team players in grades 4th – Varsity are required to play a minimum of 1 ½ quarters (or equivalent minutes) per game. All Athletic team players (grades 4 – 6) are required to play a minimum of 1 quarter (or equivalent minutes) per game. I will comply with my community’s playing time requirements to the extent that they require more playing time.
23. I will insist that each player play in a safe and healthy environment.
24. I will properly educate players as to the importance of teamwork, effort, and good sportsmanship, and will provide players with the best education and instruction possible by continually working to improve my coaching skills.
25. I shall learn the rules that apply to the game, including league rules, and shall interpret those rules to my players.
26. I will direct my players at all times to play by the rules and to show respect for the other players, coaches, and officials. I shall not try to seek an advantage by circumventing the spirit or the letter of the rules, and I will not ignore or deliberately break any rules except where the violation of the rule is an accepted part of the game (i.e., foul on breakaway to basket or "intentional" foul near the end of the game in order to get possession of the ball).
27. I will not encourage nor allow my team to "run up" the score against an opponent. I will use tactics such as player substitution, as permitted under the minimum/maximum playing time restrictions of the league, as well as rotation of ball handling responsibilities in order to keep the score differences within an acceptable range.
28. I shall take an active role in the prevention of drug, alcohol, and tobacco use by the players.
29. I shall not use or possess illegal drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, or be under the influence of any illegal drugs or alcohol, at any practice or game.
30. I will provide each parent with a complete season game and practice schedule. I will keep parents informed of all changes in the original schedule.
31. I will not intentionally or deliberately forfeit any games. There are generally no makeups or rescheduled games for forfeited games. If I cannot make a game, I will have an assistant, parent or a responsible adult fill in for that particular game.
32. I will not allow a player who has not been assigned to my team or who is not eligible to play under league rules to play in any game.
33. During any game in which I am subject to a suspension, I will not attend the game or be on the premises of the game facility.
34. I will ensure that all my players shake hands with my opponent after the game.
35. I will never approach or speak to an official after the game for any reason.
36. I will discuss with my players their responsibilities under the Player Code of Conduct. I will discuss with my parents their responsibilities under the Parent Code of Conduct.
Any violation of this code of conduct may result in disciplinary action which among other things may include a suspension or removal of a coach.