Harrison Community Basketball / CPYBL Parents/Fan Code of Conduct
The Harrison Community Basketball / CPYBL Parent Code of Conduct serves as a guideline for the behavioral standards of the Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League. Every parent is expected to adhere to the Code of Conduct. Ignorance of the Code of Conduct is not justification for noncompliance. The coordinator and coach are responsible to ensure a complete understanding of the Parent Code of Conduct. The Parent is responsible to ensure that any fan in their group is required to behave under this Code of Conduct.
To maintain my status as Harrison Community Basketball / CPYBL eligible Fan or otherwise risk forfeiture, I agree to the Parent’s Code of Conduct, which states as follows.
I agree as a parent/guardian/Fan:
1. I will remember that children participate in youth basketball to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
2. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by treating all players, coaches, and officials with dignity and respect in language, attitude, and behavior and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at every game, practice, and sporting event.
3. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player or parent such as booing and taunting, or using profane language or gestures.
4. I will not harass, physically or verbally abuse, disrespect, demean, intimidate, or cause a disturbance against any coach, player, official, league official and/or gym official, or spectator.
5. I will not at any time lay a hand upon, shove, strike or threaten an official.
6. I will respect officials and their authority during games and their calls as being fair and to the best of their ability. I will not argue calls, publicly question officiating decisions, or direct comments to referees, and will not question or confront officials at or after the basketball game.
7. I will remain in the stands during the game. I will stay away from the bench area of the teams and will not enter the floor of play under any circumstances.
8. If I find a game to be too intense to remain calm, I will leave the court area until I have regained my composure.
9. I will not confront my child’s coach before, during, or after a game, and will take time to speak with the coach at an agreed upon time and place. The discussion which occurs should never take place in the presence of the players.
10. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team or unless one of the official coaches invites my help.
11. I will inform the coach of any disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or others.
12. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well-being of the players.
13. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
14. I will provide the proper documentation providing age/grade level for each player and guarantee that this information is accurate and factual.
15. I will refrain from any acts or threats of acts of physical violence against any player, coach, official, league and/or gym official, or other spectator.
16. I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
17. I will discuss with my child his or her responsibilities under the Player Code of Conduct.
18. I will demand that my child treat other players, parents, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
19. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
20. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the players ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
21. I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
22. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning.
23. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or any other player for making a mistake or losing a competition.
24. I will do my best to make the sport of basketball fun for my child.
25. I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use or being under their influence at all games and practices.
26. I will respect the property and equipment used at any game or practice sports facility
(i.e. clean up trash) and will only allow my child(ren) to be in the areas where they are permitted
27. I agree that if I resort to violence in any situation, I will be automatically banned from all CPBYL games for the remainder of the season or when I am reinstated by the League, whichever the League decides.
28. I agree to never approach an official after the game
29. I agree to never touch or discipline any player except my own child
Any violation of this code of conduct may result in disciplinary action which among other things may include a suspension of a parent’s or spectator’s ability to attend Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League basketball games and or any Harrison Community Basketball games.