At this age level, the game of basketball is just being introduced to the players and is therefore instructional. In the interest of all players, the following rules will apply to ALL games. There are no referees in the Kindergarten division. There should be a coach or an assistant coach, who shall remain neutral, from each team responsible for the management of the game, out of bounds calls, etc.
* The basket height will be between 8 feet.
*The free throw distance will be approximately 6-8 feet.
*There will be 2 teams scheduled to share a court each practice week. These teams will practice on their own half of the court for 20 minutes. Immediately following the practice time, these 2 teams will begin the start of their game. Each week your team will have a 1 hour time slot which may be on 1 of 2 designated days of the week at Miamitown Elementary. Schedules each week will rotate within these 2 hours in order to have each team play the others within the bracket.
*There will be a 5 minute half time for all games.
*Each team will receive (2) timeouts per half.
1. No score will be kept. This is instructional; the emphasis should be on teaching proper basketball play not winning and losing.
2. Fouls will be called by coaches in the course of the games, however, personal fouls and team fouls will not be kept track of. Should a player be committing fouls excessively, the player should be removed from play by the coach so that the coach can provide further instruction on the bench.
3. Substitutions can be made at any time during the game without the stoppage of play so long as it does not hinder the current play. Please do not abuse the rule to use as an advantage.
4. No guarding in the back court. (No Press)
5. No fast break is allowed. If a rebound results in a change of possession, the defensive team must be allowed to fall back and prepare to play defense. This will greatly reduce the natural desire to guard in the back court as well as encourage teams to play defense properly and encourage offense to be ran rather than exploit a minimal number of players' individual abilities.
6. No 3-point shots.
7. No zone defense. All players are to play man-to-man defense with help side only. Defensive players should NOT be allowed to fall back as a "center fielder" on ANY inbounds play.
8. No stack or clear-out offense.